Saturday, February 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Miriam!

My only niece, Miriam, is turning 1 on March 2nd. My brother's family lives in Philadelphia so I can't make it down for her party but I definitely wanted to make her something to send. I have a whole set of favorited patterns for Miriam in my Ravelry queue. I needed something quick and I felt like making her a toy.

I decided on the free Braided Ball pattern. I had 3 different skeins of Vanna's Choice acrylic yarn that was given to me at my office secret snowman exchange this past Christmas. I never buy acrylic yarn, so having some on hand for a toy is too perfect. Easy washability is key.


The stats on this project:
Pattern: Gevlochten Bal / Braided Ball (originally written in German then translated) by Marleen Harto
Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Solids & Heathers
Colorways: Grey Marble, Dark Grey Heather, Dusty Green
Needle: Size 8 Denise Circulars
Construction Option: 6, 20 stitch strips. 2 in each color.

It's made using 6 separate strips of stockinette. Mine is made using 2 strips in each color. The pattern designer gives tips on the easiest way to make your first one...I went with the easiest construction and knitting directions. You can make them using more strips and less colors which makes it harder to put together. I didn't have any issues with my construction so next time I'll be a bit more adventurous. I think it would be fun to use self-striping sock yarn. When putting mine together I used locking stitch markers on my strips before sewing all the ends.

Miriam's ball is 5.5inches in diameter. Soft and squishy and perfect for baby hands to grab and hold. I hope she likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment